TRUTH           ENGINE

                       TRUTH ENGINE HOME                             TO ROSWELL CONTENTS                                IKON                                  COMPANY/CONTACT                      

to page:    1   1a   1b   1c   2   3    4    5   6   7   8   9    10   11   12  

next page



Truth Division

Fringe Sciences Section

UFO Volume



by Richard Crist




B&M = Berlitz, Charles and Moore, William L., The Roswell Incident. New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 1980.

R&S = Randle, Kevin D. and Schmitt, Donald R., UFO Crash at Roswell. New York: Avon Books, 1991.

F&B = Friedman, Stanton T. and Berliner, Don ,Crash at Corona. New York: Paragon House, 1992.

C&S = Carey, Thomas J. and Schmitt, Donald R., Witness to Roswell, Franklin Lakes, NJ: The Career Press, 2007.

J = Kent Jeffrey, "Roswell--Anatomy of a Myth," MUFON UFO Journal, no. 350, June 1997.

D1 = Robert J. Durant, "The Roswell debris testimony of Dr. Jesse Marcel, Jr., Part 1," MUFON UFO Journal, Jan. 1998.

D2 = Robert J. Durant, "The Roswell debris testimony of Dr. Jesse Marcel, Jr., Part 2," MUFON UFO Journal, Feb. 1998.

D3 = Robert J. Durant, "The Roswell debris testimony of Dr. Jesse Marcel, Jr., Part 3," MUFON UFO Journal, Mar. 1998.



Although it is often presented as a body of "facts," I see knowledge (since it is rarely absolute) as best represented by a network of argument structures. This book presents a compendium of the Roswell case in just this structured way. My goal is to supply all the arguments in a clear and succinct way, so that "Roswell" can be used as a great encyclopedic source on the topic.

At the same time, since "Roswell" is a Truth Engine book, you, the reader, can suggest changes to any part of it (including, of course, my arguments). So, this encyclopedic article doubles as a new kind of forum.

The goal here is to make the arguments on both sides stronger and stronger over time, as far as is possible for each side, until it becomes utterly clear, to any open-minded reader, which side is closer to truth. (I will try to present each opposition view in its strongest possible form.)

 To supply a framework for the discussion, I begin with a chronology of the events surrounding the discovery of debris on the Foster Ranch near Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. This chronology,  though much of it is not in dispute, reflects my own point of view.


July 2, 1947

At 9:50 P.M., Roswell, New Mexico. Hardware dealer Dan Wilmot and his wife saw a big, glowing object in the sky. (Roswell Daily Record, p. 21 [B&M])

During a thunderstorm, Rancher Mac Brazel, near Corona, New Mexico, heard a crash louder than, different from thunder. (J. Marcel Sr. -- interview 1979 [B&M, p. 64]. Marcel was Roswell Base Intelligence Officer, assigned to the only atomic bomb group in the world at that time.) To Mac's son, Bill, it seemed that the lightning had been attracted to a single place on the ranch.[Bill Brazel. C&S p. 187]


July 3, 1947

Mac Brazel, riding on horseback with a young neighbor, Dee Proctor, found the debris field on the Foster Ranch (about 75 miles northwest of Roswell). The debris was exotic, very light but extremely strong, having very strange properties.(R&S p.37. Interview with Loretta Proctor, Brazel's neighbor.)

Mac Brazel took some pieces of the wreckage to show his nearest neighbor, Floyd and Loretta Proctor.[R&S p. 38]



July 3-6? 1947

Brazel was irritated because the sheep would not cross the debris field. (R&S p. 38. Interview with Tommy Tyree, who started working for Brazel a month or so after the event.) Mac talked to neighbor Clint Sultemeier and took samples to his uncle, Hollis Wilson. [C&S p. 48]

Apparently, Mac finds a second site, with bodies.

Others come to the debris field, some taking souvenirs.

Mac talks to his friend, state police officer Robert Scroggins, about his discovery. [C&S p. 49]


July 4 1947

A piece of the debris, a kind of metal foil that, after being crumpled, would resume its original shape, was seen at the 4th of July rodeo in Capitan, New Mexico. [C&S p. 49]


July 5, 1947

Mac Brazel went to Corona, New Mexico and visited Wade's Bar and the Corona General Store, showing people pieces of the strange wreckage. Acquaintances suggested that the debris might be from a flying saucer and suggested Mac go to the authorities about it. (Bill Brazel, Mac's son [B&M p. 77].[C&S p. 48])


July 6, 1947

Mac Brazel went to Roswell [some say he went to Roswell on Monday the 7th. They believe that Brazel came into town for other business as well, and so it makes sense that this would have been Monday, not Sunday]. He went to Chaves County sheriffs office. Sheriff Wilcox called Major Jesse Marcel, Sr., ranking staff officer in charge of intelligence at the Roswell Army Air Base.

Marcel talked to Col. Blanchard, base commander. Blanchard ordered Marcel to go look at the debris field. Marcel and a CIC [Counter-Intelligence Corps] agent, Sheridan Cavitt, followed Brazel out to the ranch. Arriving late, they spent the night there.

Some of the debris that Mac brought to Roswell was put on an airplane at Roswell AAF and flown to Washington on orders of Gen. Clements McMullin at the Pentagon. [Col. Thomas DuBose, chief of staff of Gen. Roger Ramey, commander of the Eighth Air Force at Fort Worth. C&S 113]


July 7, 1947

A.M.: Brazel showed Marcel and Cavitt the debris field, an area of a mile long by several hundred yards wide [F&B p. 10]. According to Marcel, "It was definitely not a weather or tracking device, nor was it any sort of plane or missile. What it was we didn't know.....It was something I had never seen before, or since.... It certainly wasn't anything built by us...." [J. Marcel, Sr. [B&M pp. 63&65]]

Marcel sent Cavitt back to the Roswell AAF to report to Blanchard. (C&S p. 184) Marcel spent all day (of July 7th) surveying the debris field and loading his vehicle with the materials. (J. Marcel, Sr. (B&M p. 67).) [If Mac had come to Roswell, and Marcel and Cavitt had driven to the ranch, on the 7th, as some claim, then the surveying and loading would have happened on the 8th, and, contrary to Maj. Marcel's testimony, would not have lasted all day, but would have been accomplished during the early morning hours of the 8th, so that when Marcel got back to his house, it would still have been morning.]

An impact site was discovered by archaeologists 35 or 40  miles northwest of Roswell, much closer to Roswell than the debris field. A nearly intact craft was recovered there by the military, as were several alien bodies and, possibly, a live alien. The Lt. Governor of New Mexico, Joe Montoya, saw them as they were brought into a hangar on base.

At some point, someone apparently came to the ranch and escorted Brazel back to Roswell, to the home of the owner of radio station, KGFL, Walt Whitmore, Sr.  Brazel's testimony was recorded late in the evening.


July 8, 1947

Marcel arrived back at Roswell in the early morning hours of the 8th. Marcel stopped at his house and showed the debris to his wife and 11-year old son [one month shy of his 12th birthday], Jesse Marcel Jr. (now Dr. Marcel). (Maj. J. Marcel Sr. [B&M p. 70].) Maj. Marcel laid the pieces out on the kitchen floor. The family tried to put the pieces together, but couldn't find a match for even two pieces.

Then Marcel and a CIC agent [Cavitt?] visited with Col. Blanchard in his quarters. [R&S p. 56]

In the early morning, the Army came to Whitmore's home and grabbed Brazel and his recorded testimony .

There was a regularly scheduled staff meeting at 7:30 a.m. at the Roswell AAF. In attendance were the base commander, Col. Blanchard, Maj. Marcel, Capt. Cavitt, Col. James I. Hopkins (the operations officer), Lt. Haut (public information officer), Maj. Patrick Saunders (base adjutant), Maj. Isadore Brown (personnel officer), Lt. Col. Ulysses S. Nero (supply officer), Brig. Gen. Roger Ramey (Blanchard's boss at Carswell AAF, Fort Worth), Col. Thomas J. DuBose (Ramey's chief of staff). At the meeting, Marcel and Cavitt reported on their findings at the Foster ranch debris field. Pieces of the strange debris were passed around the room. There was a discussion about whether the discovery should be made public. Ramey said that they needed to divert public attention from the more important impact site by acknowledging the Foster ranch debris field.

About noon, Lt. Walter Haut, public information officer at the Roswell Army Air Base, issued a news release:

"The many rumors regarding the flying disc became a reality yesterday when the intelligence office of the 509th Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force, Roswell Army Air Field, was fortunate enough to gain possession of a disc...."

Haut's release was picked up by the press: the Roswell Daily Record ran the headline, RAAF Captures Flying Saucer On Ranch in Roswell Region.

Capt. Oliver "Pappy" Henderson flew the first group of aliens, including the one that was alive (the aliens from the impact site, near Roswell(?)), from Roswell to Wright Field in Ohio. [C&S p. 205]

Teletype operator at radio station KSWS, Lydia Sleppy, says that she received a call from staff member Johnny McBoyle reporting on the recovery of the debris. She began to send it out to the network on the teletype. She said, "I got into it enough to know that it was a pretty big story, when the bell came on [signaling an interruption]. Typing came across: This is the FBI, you will cease transmitting." [F&B, p. 77 -- The authors date this event to July 7th, but imply it was the same day that Haut distributed his press release (which happened on the 8th).]

Brig. General Roger Ramey, Commander of 8th AF District at Fort Worth went on the air on a Fort Worth radio station, saying that the debris was from a weather balloon. Ramey had Blanchard order the Roswell portion of the debris to be flown to Fort Worth, then to Wright-Patterson Field. [B&M pp. 28-29] (and J. Marcel Sr. [B&M p. 68].) It was Ramey who came up with the cover story about the balloon "just to get the press off our backs. " (J. Marcel Sr. [B&M p.68]) The weather balloon story was a fabrication designed to "put out the fire." (Brig. General Thomas Jefferson Dubose, then a colonel, Ramey's adjutant. Interview Sept. 9, 1979 [B&M pp. 30-31].) The material was "definitely not any kind of balloon. We've picked up balloons all over this country." (Bill Brazel [B&M pp. 80-81]).

The clean-up at the ranch begins. [according to Trini Chavez]

The third flight after the discovery left from Roswell. It was scheduled to land at Ft. Worth, then to go on to Wright Field. The pilot was Lt. Col. Payne Jennings. The co-pilot was the Roswell base executive officer Lt. Col. Robert Barrowclough. Maj. Marcel was on board carrying a box of debris. On arriving at Fort Worth, Marcel reports to General Ramey.

General Ramey called the press into his office to photograph what are clearly the remains of a weather balloon. Ramey claimed that these remains were what was found on the Foster Ranch. Ramey claimed that the continuation of the flight from Roswell to Wright field was cancelled, but it actually was not.

At night, trucks with spotlights were seen heading to the second site found by Brazel. [Loretta Proctor]


July 9, 1947

Brazel, now in the custody of the military, was escorted by military officers to the Roswell Daily Record to talk to reporters. Brazel now claimed that the object was gray rubber and that the debris was confined to an area of only about 200 yards in diameter. He said that there was some scotch tape and tape with flowers printed on it. This was a new story. [R&S pp. 41-42]

Later, Brazel was taken to radio station KGFL, where again he told what was apparently a cover story given him by the Army: the object was nothing more than a balloon. When reporter and announcer Frank Joyce pointed out that his story had changed, Brazel kept repeating the new story, but then added, "It'll go hard on me". [R&S p. 42]

The second group of alien bodies (apparently from the second site that Brazel found, near the debris field) was flown from Roswell to Fort Worth aboard a B-29 called the Straight Flush. [C&S p. 118]


July 9-15, 1947

Brazel remained in military custody in Roswell. [R&S pp. 42-43] Floyd Proctor, in his interview with William Moore in June, 1979, stated, "They kept [Mac] there a week, under guard. He was real talkative about that stuff until he came back, then he wouldn't say much at all." Proctor said that he and neighbor L. D. Sparks saw him in Roswell, during this period, surrounded by military men. Mac walked right past them as if he didn't know them. [B&M 84]


July 15, 1947

Mac Brazel returned to the ranch. [Chronology, R&S p. 216]



to page:    1   1a   1b   1c   2   3    4    5   6   7   8   9    10   11   12  


next page



Richard Crist, 2007